Wednesday, June 5, 2013

who you'd be today


Today is Rochelle's birthday. My best friend for nearly a quarter century on this earth. We met in 9th grade, were inseparable throughout high school, along with Shauna, and after high school, things never really changed. Sure we moved, went to school, got jobs, fell in and out of love with boys, then fell in love with men. But whenever something big happened, my first phone call was always to her.

In all those years, I can't remember a single fight we had. We disagreed sometimes, but never fought. Because that would be like yelling at myself. We were that connected.

I miss her so much, and with all that's going on in my life right now, I really wish I could just call her. I know she'd have some good advice along with a funny story or two.

As the years go by, I find myself wondering what she'd be up to now. Would she and Dave have adopted a child, giving Rohn a brother or sister? Would she still be working at the pharmacy? Living in the same tiny house, and would they have finally taken the plunge to remodel it and add on? Kenny Chesney sings this song about losing his best friend in high school, and that song has always been a sweet reminder of Rochelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment