Wednesday, August 14, 2013

time to think


I'm spending a much needed vacation week recharging my batteries and relaxing in one of my favorite places on the planet. Every time I step outside, I take a deep breath and let the scents of my hometown settle back into my soul. No other place smells like this, and I wish I could bottle the fragrance of Central Oregon. I haven't set an alarm since last Thursday, and I have barely looked at a clock as well. Yesterday I hiked for miles, and today I slept in (for me), lazed about for a while, then took a 2 hour nap this afternoon.

This year has taken a toll on me so far, emotionally and physically, and I've not had a lot of opportunities for real reflection and thinking. So I'm taking advantage of the break to allow myself to just sit and ponder as needed. 

I took a trip down memory lane yesterday and drove past my old house, past Rochelle's old house, past our high school, straight over to the park where we would go when we skipped class (shh). The swings are still there. All I needed was a Slurpee to complete the picture. Oh, and my best friend. I miss her so damn much. Nearly five years after she died, I want nothing more than one more conversation with her. A really long one, because we have a lot to talk about, she and I.

I wonder what she'd say about the things going on in my life now. What advice would she give me about the boomerang men? My job? The desire to pack my bags, sell my house, and run away to a sunny sandy beach town to make jewelry and sell flip flops? She always had a way of helping me make sense of things, even if she didn't outright tell me what to do. I need that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment